Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Are you for REAL?

Today's hot topic: Photoshop!
While every girl would love to be on the cover of Glamour or Seventeen magazine, many don't realize that the images they see in those magazines are far from the truth. The topic of photoshopping has sparked many people in the industry to speak out and do something.

From Christina Aguilera's hit song "Beautiful" back in 2002, to the Dove Real Beauty Campaign, launched in 2004, to celebrities like Kim Kardashian now insisting that they not be photoshopped in magazine spreads.



It amazes me how much people have to say about this topic, but photographers, models, celebrities, and others still insist on creating this ideal image with photoshop. As a child I think I got lucky in the sense that I didn't watch a lot of TV or read a ton of magazines because I was too busy playing sports and trying to be like my brother, but there are many girls that fall into that gap.

Our society places so much emphasis on either creating a perfect image, or criticizing those that create that image, which sometimes just makes everything a much bigger deal than it was in the first place. (I mean honestly...I played with Barbie my whole life and I never really thought about the whole boob to waist to arm to leg ratio crap that they talk about...the focus was on dressing and playing...PLEASE!)


Picture courtesy of Dove RealBeauty Campaign


However, this article from Read Write Web did catch my attention because I do think it is a step in the right direction. French member of Parliament, Valerie Boyer, has "proposed a law to include a disclaimer at the bottom of all enhanced press, political, art and advertising-based photographs." The reason why I like this is because I think it is reasonable. Asking photos not to be retouched is, lets face it, not going to happen anytime soon. However, just like the food industry has to add disclaimers if their food might contain nuts, the fashion industry should include a disclaimer if their image is altered. Fair enough right?

While there are many details to work out I hope that this law is approved! Tell me what your thoughts are and if you have heard of anything else related.
Song of the Day:
World Wide Open- Love and Theft

No comments: