Thursday, October 1, 2009

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better

I feel like everywhere I go there is some new celebrity endorsed product. It is not enough these days for an actor to be just an actor, a singer to be a singer, or a fashion designer to focus purely on fashion. Celebrities are constantly taking their "celebrity" and using it slap their name on some product.

So that brings me to my topic for today: Where do we draw the line? From wines, to foods, to clothing lines, to jewelery lines, to shoes, to restaurants, celebrities now days are going into many other business ventures to "brand themselves" as they call it. But honestly, are they just cluttering the already crowded marketplace with products they may or not be of good quality just because they can? Are they robbing people who have real talent of their opportunities because they have the resources and the name?

In my opinion, yes. When I read my celebrity news (which is every day) it seems as if some celebrity is coming out with a new clothing line. O but theirs has a twist to it. Maybe it is affordable for all...well we already have about five of those...I can name them off the top of my head right now. Issac Mizrahi for Target, Miley Cyrus and Mary Kate and Ashely Olson's both have lines in Wal-mart, and now Lauren Conrad has come out with a more affordable line of her $250 cotton dresses.

Outside of the fashion world, celebrities are dabbling in the food world. Countless celebrities are opening restaurants all over the country. This I don't have as much of a problem with, since it is not necessarily Jennifer Lopez back in the kitchen cooking. However, when Dan Aykroyd comes out with a line of wines, I have got to say something. His wines were actually featured on Gary Vaynerchuck's Wine Library TV series the other day (which somewhat prompted this post), and needless to say they were kind of a dissappointment. Let's leave the winemaking to those that know it best.

http://tv.winelibrary.com/2009/09/29/tasting-celebrity-wines-episode-744/

So what are your thoughts? Do you buy things because a celebrity's name is on it? Do you endorse celebrity products? Do you think real talent is being overshadowed by celebrities?

I'm interested so let me know!

No comments: