Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Working it Out


For awhile I never really saw the impact of social media in the workplace. I didn't use it in the workplace, wasn't hugely involved in it, and didn't go home and do much research on it. I wasn't extremely interested in creating a blog, I am still reluctant to create a twitter account (although I have as a result of MUCH pressure), I didn't join Facebook until I got to college, and I was never part of a social network until I got to college.

I guess you could say I was more into human contact than about getting on the computer and connecting. Well I was guilty of late night chat sessions on AIM, I mean what middle schooler wasn't...and who doesn't remember their first ridiculous screen name. Mine was halogurl125 (where in the world did that come from???)

However, working in marketing at the Frank Erwin Center I have realized how EXTREMELY important social media is not only for our work, but for all the people that we are involved with. In the past six months we have launched a Facebook page and a twitter account, and we have started keeping track daily of all the social media that our clients are involved with. For example, since Jay-Z is coming in November we have begun tracking his twitter account and all the media attention he gets for anything interesting.

In doing this I have learned so much about social media. Not only about how important it is in the sense that it does make a difference in getting the word out, but that there is so much you can do with it. For instance, Jason Mraz was here last night. One of his interesting social media tactics were a series of comedic webisodes called Grati Tube. The series really had nothing to do with Mraz's music, but they were really popular because they showed a completely different side of him. Jason Mraz is known for being a soulful and thoughtful musician, so viewers were interested to see him being playful and comedic. The videos got thousands of hits on his official Youtube website.

I think that doing things like Jason did that show you have a different side to you than what you always show the world are important not only for celebrities, but for other people in the spotlight. In light of all the recent outbursts in the public eye lately, social media might be one of best outlets to shed a new light to the situation. The way people look at news is definitely changing, and perhaps being real can be the best remedy to some situations.


Song Of the Day (in light of Jason Mraz):
"Live High"

No comments: